Elvira, an employee on Legal Department collected plastic lids that she gave to her friend who delivered them at Alianza Anticancer Infantil (a place where they help families with all their needs and the treatments for cancer kids; they do all this by recycling several things, one of them the plastic lids).
One day Elvira approached my area, explained what she did, and together we planned to run the campaign inside the company with the collaboration of all the employees.
If you want something to have larger impact…
DO IT WITH MORE PEOPLE AND INFLUENCE OTHERS!
HOW WE DID IT
A few months ago we started collecting plastic lids at the company, we put an empty bottle where they can deposit them; weekly I communicate the advance of our collaboration, I thank the weekly collaborators and I set up a goal in order to motivate ourselves. For example, the first time we wanted 2,000 and we had more than 5,000 and this time we wanted 10,000 and people brought more than 14,000 plastic lids!
THE BAG THAT MADE ME HAPPY
During this week, early in the morning, I was extremely excited with one bag of plastic lids, and it may sound funny, but every time a person collaborates it makes my entire day worth it! It makes me very happy!
- The maintenance woman collected almost 700 lids thanks to other maintenance people at the building.
- A grandma of one of the employees contributed too.
- Two companies are currently collecting them with their employees, so they can bring them together with us.
- Other two people went out to the street and collect plastic lids from people by explaining them who they were going to be helping.
They did that because they wanted to help, so of course I got very happy!
- Happy to see that people care about others.
- Happy to observe that people have make this campaign part of their lives.
- Happy to see that they have invited other family members, and other companies to help us with more plastic lids in order to help Alianza Anticáncer.
- Happy to see the strong motivation, collaboration and team work in order to achieve the goal we put.
We started with a simple initiative that nowadays has a great impact!
We are helping without expecting anything in exchange, we have learned to give, and we have learned to care about others.
Those are things that we cannot learn at a place, but that our own instinct and empathy creates inside of us and the more we practice it, the better we become.
What started as a campaign of plastic lids with 4 active collaborators, turned into 17 collaborators, and today 52 active employees with more than 14,000 plastic lids which will be recycled by Alianza Anticancer in order to pay cancer kids treatments. We are doing this together!
I am happy to see that this campaign has made us better people, and active collaborators to something that will help other people and that will definitely have a greater impact.
Always remember to involve others if you want your initiatives to be more powerful!